Shop Steward Training for Success
The Shop Steward Training Program is for all IBEW 213 members, whether you are already a seasoned Steward, just want to learn more about your union and the labour movement, or somewhere in between.
The program is free of charge and open to all IBEW 213 members. All of our course offerings have a minimum and maximum capacity. Courses may have to be cancelled due to low enrollment; overflow registrations will be added to a waitlist. Please do not register if you are not committed to attend.
Shop Steward Training Level I (Basics)
Shop Steward Level I deals with the basics of becoming a Shop Steward.
Evening courses go from 5:30 until about 9:30 p.m., with food and soft drinks provided from 5 until 5:30 p.m. Saturday courses begin at 8:30 a.m. and go until about 1 p.m.
Spring 2022 Level I Schedule
- Tuesday, February 15 in Port Coquitlam
- Tuesday, March 8 in Port Coquitlam
- Tuesday, March 15 in Penticton
- Wednesday, March 16 in Kelowna
- Tuesday, March 29 in Terrace
- Saturday, April 2 in Port Coquitlam
- Wednesday, April 20 in Castlegar
- Thursday, May 31 in Nanaimo
- Monday, June 20 in Prince Rupert
Shop Steward Training Level II (Intermediate)
Shop Steward Level II builds upon the learning from the Level I course. Participants should have completed Level I before registering for Level II.
Spring 2022 Level II Schedule
- Wednesday, February 23 in Port Coquitlam
- Wednesday, March 30 in Terrace
- Tuesday, April 5 in Port Coquitlam
- Monday, April 11 in Kelowna
- Tuesday, April 12 in Penticton
- Thursday, April 21 in Castlegar
- Wednesday, May 25 in Port Coquitlam
- Tuesday, June 21 in Prince Rupert
- Tuesday, June 28 in Nanaimo
The Shop Steward Training program will improve your understanding of collective agreements, the grievance process, how to handle meetings with management, and many other topics.
Shop steward training builds confidence and effectiveness, and will raise your awareness of how the union can work for everyone. The skills you acquire will serve you in the union and throughout your career.
IBEW 213 regularly offers shop steward training courses. All members, not just shop stewards, may attend these courses. They are a valuable source of information about representation, dispute resolution, health and safety rights and procedures. IBEW 213 encourages all of its members to take advantage of the opportunity to attend one of these courses and to learn more about the representation provided by their union.